For the younger set, there is a really nice app called Makego. (Available on iTunes) Together with the TinkerBrick case, it allows for all kinds of inventive play, extending the functionality of Lego as well as the iPod.
From the iTunes description:
What is it?
Makego turns your iPhone / iPod Touch into a toy vehicle.
It encourages fun, open ended collaborative play between parent and child. Combining creativity and imagination with the virtual world on screen.
Select your vehicle within Makego, then interact with the drivers and their world through animations and sound. This release has 3 vehicles to play with: a race car, ice-cream truck, and river boat. More vehicles are coming soon.
- Motion activated engine noises & turbo boost selector
- Change the car’s paint colour
- Working speedometer and petrol gauge
- Refuel the petrol tank when you’ve raced it dry
- Serve the correct ice-creams to customers
- Collect the money and put it in the till
- Toggle the musical jingle to tell everyone you’ve arrived
- Start and stop the engine for a leisurely trip along the waterways
- Feed bread to the hungry ducks along the way
- Sprung a leak?! Fix holes in the boat using a hammer from your toolbox